Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Immaculate Conception

In my church, today is a big feast of a person named Mary.  I won't go into the theology of this feast.  What interests me is that at one point in her story Mary was a middle school girl.  She was already engaged.  Talk about being in over your head!  Then God comes along and tells her she is supposed to get pregnant by some Spiritual force.  She says OK.  Was she frightened? You think.  We are talking middle school here.  So it gets found out, morning sickness and such.  All she has is this fantastical tale as far as anyone knows.  The neighborhood is probably glad she leaves with her witless, accepting husband, and goes off to Bethlehem for a census.  She does not have to go but I bet everyone begs to be rid of her.  She is a survivor.  This Mary is not a normal girl.  She gives birth and tells her son that she went through a lot to do so.  He says thank you, hangs around for a few years, gives her no grandchildren, and goes off to save the world.  Whenever I feel that I have it bad or the going is rough, or I don't understand what is going on, I like to think that this lady, Mary, is in my corner.  We all need some help.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you - I believe you hit it - instead of getting tangled in the theology, it is a story of acceptance, willingness and strength, in an unlikely, exceptional individual - an inspiration!
    As I wrestle with a personal problem, these are Principles that I need to remember, in all my affairs.
    And I'm not so sure that 'ol Joe was so much "witless", for his part, as accepting of his role, too - he doesn't get enough "press". I realize that wasn't your point - just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete