Monday, December 14, 2015

Suicide Prevention

I met a fellow recently who thought he had lost any reason to live.  He said he had nothing to live for.    He had lost all interest in "the pursuit of happiness."  I suggested that when he goes to work that day, and when in a store, or his neighborhood, he try to be kind, and available to help others.  Try to be a listener when people talk to you.  I have found that when I am down, instead of wallowing in it, I look for ways to be useful and helpful to others.  Opportunities seem to abound when I am open.  I inevitably feel better after taking action to be helpful or useful to others whether they know it or not.  The best happiness is not when I try to grab it directly, but rather when I am useful and connected to others through service.

2 comments:

  1. This is true. To lose yourself in others. Sometimes I feel that I have given myself away too. Maybe that is what is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also important to maintain reasonable boundaries - there are those who would take until they destroy you - I have such a problem in my life

      Delete