Saturday, January 23, 2016

Apologize

Why do you apologize to someone or say that you are sorry and admit your fault in whatever happened?  The usual reasons are to make peace, to be rid of shame and guilt, to feel better yourself, or to get something from the other person.  That would be apology as opening to negotiations.  But I noticed a reason quite different when I looked at the 12 steps of recovery.  In the step on making amends, it says that you will go to any lengths in making an amends, in order to have A VITAL SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE. Wow!  For these people it is all about spiritual growth.  I will try to remember that when next I find myself wimping out on saying I am sorry, or admitting my fault in an event.  An experience that is "vital" is one that slowly changes you.  I guess those addicts in recovery want to change.  I am all for that.  How about those not addicted?  Or is there also the drug of egocentricity, hardheartedness, and selfishness?  

No comments:

Post a Comment