Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Clean Up

A New Year Resolution is to clean up my office.  So far I have done rather well.  Why?  There is an energy behind a resolution when you make it.  The secret is to act on the resolution while that energy is still there.  I did.  Had I waited, stuff would have come up to sap my energy for this project.  What I found in the clean up is:
1. How I put things aside for future action or decision.  As I looked at the stuff I had put aside for a future decision or action, I realize I had already made the decision to do nothing, but could not quite admit to myself that I would do nothing on this IMPORTANT issue.
2. How I decided to hold onto things, such as boxes, that I would use later for some vague project.  I was not brought up in the Depression era of the 1930s.  Why am I saving things, especially when I have no space in which to save them?  Over time, these things move from being valuable, useful, necessary, to becoming mere trash.
3. I found a few things that I had "filed" somewhere.  It made no sense that they were where I found them among a lot of outdated and now useless other papers.
4. There is now room: on my desk to work, and in my office for someone to sit without feeling they are part of the trash.
5. I have an enormous amount of M&Ms.  I tell everyone that I have none or am almost out, but this is not so.  They are buried under other stuff.  M&Ms are never trash.  They are to be shared, but slowly.
When my space around me is not cluttered, then my mind is less cluttered and I can be more meditative, even in the office.  I have a nice prayer chair, and now nothing is on it, but me.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your reflections on this - they are very helpful...

    ReplyDelete