Monday, January 4, 2016

The Wanting

Wanting to be good does not make me good.  There is no action.  It is like waking up and wanting to run.  Nice thought.  But that does not get me running.  Stretching, putting on the running gear, tedious when cold outside, hydrating and then going outside and running is the solution.  All action steps.  If I wait for my "will" to catch up, I might still be holding my coffee  cup and looking out the window, "wanting to run."  Being good is a lot of action steps.  The solution to going from bad to good is not feeling shame or guilt or desire.  It is doing something  that leads to goodness.  It is all action.  Don't wait for the will to catch up.  Just act.  It is the way I pray.  I don't care much how I feel about prayer when I wake up.  I just get up and do it.  If I wait around until I want to do the "solution" to a better life, I will be very erratic at best.  Most days I would not get beyond "wishing" or "I ought to," or "this would be good for me."  Been there.  Done that.  Dead end.

No comments:

Post a Comment