Monday, January 18, 2016

Repair The Damage

What does it mean to mak an amends to someone?  If I had made some remark that hurt a person, I need to say that I am sorry.  Apologize.  I am sorry for saying what I said.  I don't wait until my opinion changes.  I am about changing my attitude.  To repair the damage done, my attiude needs to be consistent.  My saying I am sorry may make me feel better.  Nice, but what about the other person?  That is why I need a daily spiritual practice, so that my attitude, which seems to control my actions, will be consistly caring and even loving if I can get that far.  At least be curteous.  If I have stolen, lied or cheated, then saying I am sorry is merely step one.  I need to do some more action to right a wrong.  Without a spiritual practice, i.e. prayer and meditation, I will say,"I am sorry," focused on me feeling better or to get out of some trouble.  This is hardly repentance, and it won't change me for the better.

1 comment:

  1. IMHO, this is a very poorly understood concept among those who bandy the term so freely
    "I'm sorry" does not mend the harm done to others...
    Neither does "10 Our Fathers and 10 Hail Marys"...
    The Church, as an institution, has failed miserably in this respect...

    ReplyDelete