Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Bronx

I will end this year with a thought on the Bronx, my beginnings.  The Bronx was a place of adventure for a child like me and my friends.  Outdoor play sometimes meant that we went exploring, but we always knew how to get home on our own.  We could be astonished at seeing something new or interesting in the Bronx, or even Southern Westchester County, but at the same time we felt at home in it, because we always could get back "home" on our own.  It was a great way to adventure on one's own, with friends, without having to tag along with adults to some distant place.  Children now don't so much go out to play, as they go on long car rides to places or fly to places and are kept in strict supervision by adults. I did not have to go to a movie to enter into some new world of the movie, while being safe in a theater.  My world was always real.  It did not need the movie or outside entertainment.  The Bronx had enough for me.  I could risk with safety, but risk nonetheless.  I wonder what I will risk in 2017?  Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. I loved exploring the underground sewers in Bitdland Park, in DesMoines, IA. My risk was my Dad's punishment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year my dear friend! New adventures to come!

    ReplyDelete