Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Whose Image?

People of the Book, the Bible, say that we are all made in the image and likeness of God.  So they are supposed to act like God, right?  But it seems that many of these 'Believers" have it all backwards or reversed.  They act like God is made in their image and likeness.  How so?  Listen to them when you do something they disapprove of?  Their response is, "God will get you."  "You will burn."  "You are going to hell."  This is not about God but about what they would do to you if they were God.  They want a god who is just as petty as they are, all full of rules and regulations, with no place for compassion, and mercy.  Some others have created a god that will reward them materially for their work.  Some others want a god who is an ER god, always on duty to fulfill their needs or wants.  Now, I have had all of those god images in my life, but I am working on allowing God to be God, showing up, or not, to my satisfaction.  When I don't get what I want it might be exactly what I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment