Friday, June 1, 2018

Anchor Cross

Now and again you see a cross with an anchor as the bottom part of the cross.  What is that?  The anchor represents safety, as in being safely anchored somewhere, having arrived, if you will.  You might see them on funeral monuments.  It is there to express the idea that the departed person has arrived safely at their port of eternal peace.  The deceased is safe, as depicted by the anchor and saved as depicted by the cross.  I got to thinking about bad behavior.  Such behavior, built up over time, with repeat actions, will weigh us down, and seems to leave us with a heavy heart.  I think of Jacob Marley, the ghost with the long chain of bad behaviors when he comes to Ebenezer Scrooge in the Dickens work, "A Christmas Carol."  I hope my chain is not too long.  How about you?  Who wants to be anchored in "you know where?"  Today is June 1.  Where is 2018 going?  So fast.  I better get to being good.

No comments:

Post a Comment