Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Being “The Other”

Homily Note...Fr. Terry Ryan, CSP, Matthew 28: 8-10
     
     How would you like to be known as “The Other” Person when names are being named?  While there is the famous Mary Magdalene and with her is the “other” Mary.  Well, that is pretty anonymous.  Have you ever been with someone and everyone else seems to notice that person and remember that person and you are simply “what’s her name” as in forgettable?  Depending on how you feel or respond to this will tell a lot about your spiritual growth and balance.  If you get all upset that would be about ego.  You think you are more important than people say or think, or remember.  If you are all depressed, as in “I am a nobody” then that might be false pride, as in you are worse than other people, putting yourself down to justify being forgotten.  If you are comfortable in your own skin, need no affirmation from historians, then you don’t mind that people forget a part of your “unique” identity.  I try to be comfortable in my own skin, accept being forgotten or a non-central person.  Why?  Because this is often how it is in my life.  If I wear my priest collar, people seem to “recognize me” and remember my name and say hello.  But if I am just walking about in regular clothes, I seem to go unnoticed.  I tried this when greeting children coming into the school.  I am either a ghost, or “hello Father.”  Depends on what I wear.  I have come to prefer being anonymous.  If you have been an imperfect person in the past, you might like it that way too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment