Friday, April 17, 2020

Self-Seeking Spirituality

A lot of us have devotional pieties, prayer forms and prayer places we go to get more spiritual or holy.  For me, it seems that is about doing something to get something.  I say a novena to get some return or indulgence.  I go to a worship place to get something.  I think that this needs to be balanced if not diminished by a spirituality focused on an absence of self-seeking.  This would be a Spirituality that focuses on other people, especially other people who are hurting in one way or another.  I need to  do for others without any expectation of return.  This is where, I think, if I read my scriptures correctly, that I move from mediocrity to transformation.  I try to go to meetings, not so much focused on what I can get, but on what I can give to someone still suffering, without any expectation of a return.  I always get a return in my heart.  It is the language of the heart.

1 comment:

  1. “Comfort and encourage each other” 1 Thessalonians 4:18
    Fr Terry, thanks for your teaching

    ReplyDelete