Monday, April 20, 2020

The More

I used to like to drink.  My favorite drink was "More."  I am not doing that today.  Now my favorite drink is a spiritual path that at times wants "more."  How so?  Well, there is a line in a poem that says, "I drink, and yet I am dry."  It refers to the spiritual path of prayer.  To me, there are times when I pray but feel blah, nothing much.  I sit quietly to meditate and am restless, or discontented.  Not getting a good spiritual buzz.  Though I judge it to be a waste of time when this happens, I have found it to be a vital experience of spiritual growth.  The experience of being dry, can make me want more of whatever feels absent.  How so?  I go into the day after this seemingly empty prayer, and lo and behold I do some good things that even surprise me.  This is how I know that the Power, the One, the Divine, is at work and the prayer was only my judgment of absence.  So I drop judgment and want to go back and pray again, without any expectations.  I want the "more" and am getting it even if I don't feel it at the moment.  It beats a hangover.

No comments:

Post a Comment