Friday, August 15, 2014

Good Choice

A few years ago Howard came back into my life.  At this point he was on oxygen and preparing for his death.  He knew me from many years ago when I worked at another parish in Boulder.  He did not forget me.  He was now looking for a priest to preside and preach at his funeral.  He knew the type of persons that would attend his funeral and he thought I was the one who would be able to connect with them.  I didn't know this until the day of the funeral.  Over 400 people showed up.  They came for Howard.  Many of them had little use for organized religion, but they were all on a spiritual path.  Let us say that they had low expectations that the preacher would have anything useful to say for their benefit.  It was then that I knew Howard saw a grace in me that I may not have noticed in myself.  I knew why he chose me to be the priest at his funeral.  I spoke from a place in myself that I have come to know very well over the years.  I connected with the congregation.  They told me so afterwards.  Why?  It is called "Language of the Heart."  There is more in me than even I myself know.  

2 comments:

  1. O would some Power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are we so unclear of understanding and hearing "The Language of the Heart?

    ReplyDelete