Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Sneakers

I used to wear sneakers, tennis, running shoes when I said mass, and still do at times.  Bishops would be appalled, of course.  But good things can come from irreverence.  There was a young girl in church way back then, who liked me because I wore the running shoes, so she listened to me preach.  God used me to tell her stuff about loving everyone.  She grew up and now has a foundation that raises money, The Marshall Fund, I think, to educate girls in countries where girls do not have much chance for education.  Read "Half The Sky."  Lots of girls are getting a chance and my irreverent running shoes had a part in it.  I have some outrageous red ones for my next mass!  Oh, the girl who grew up to do these wonderful things, and even visit these countries, is Irish, last name Kelly.  Like the Celts, we may come from an Island, but we are for the world.

1 comment:

  1. Terry
    Your preaching and warm hospitality at Howie's funeral mass was 'spot on."
    You knew your audience well and challenged them to carry on while making accessible to all.
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete