Saturday, January 6, 2018

Take Out The Trash

One of the things I like about the Shepherds and the Magi, is that after they had their powerful religious experiences, they went back home to work.  They returned to their lives to do the stuff they were doing, but with maybe a different attitude or sense of things.  They might have talked about their experiences, but they still "took out the garbage" as I like to say.  So many people, clerics included, think that because they have had some "special" encounter with God, dairy chores are beneath them.  They have no time for the daily chores that need taking care of.  The shepherds went back to the fields to care for the sheep.  Sure, they were praising God, but the sheep needed attention. The Magi, went back to their home, to their daily lives.  They might have been changed within, but their daily lives were still "daily" in need of attention.  Today, in many Catholic cultures, it is the Feast of the Epiphany.  I took out the garbage.  Me, a spiritual giant, took out the garbage.  I like to think of the Magi as taking out their garbage.  It was easier for them.  They did not have to recycle.  Did you make your bed up after you got up?  My sister, Jane, abandons her messy bed, for spiritual reading, including this blog, each morning.  I pray for her.

1 comment:

  1. Our recycle site is far away so I always need some good recycle music to make the trip after my garage fills up with recycle. I am always amazed how much recycle i have to throw away. Multiply it by the millions of housholds and it is staggering. The trip is a good time to do a little meditation on my relationship with God.

    ReplyDelete