Monday, October 22, 2018

Abbot Joseph

Abbot Joseph Boyle died early yesterday morning from cancer.  He was 77.  He had been the Abbot of my monastery since 1985, and was a New Yorker, so twice holy.  Abbot Joseph was the one I asked and who said yes to me coming to live for extended periods of time at the Trappist Monastery in Snowmass, Colorado, beginning in 2004.  The monastery sits in a beautiful valley at 8,000 feet altitude.  It is 3600 acres of ranch, hills, trees and of course our monastery and retreat houses.  I had a chance to say goodbye to him when I was last there.  So the next time I go up there in December the monastery will have a different feel to it.  I know not what that will be.  I will visit his grave and thank him again for his kindness and wisdom.  Please keep him in your prayers if you pray.  Another New Yorker in heaven.  Place is full of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment