Saturday, October 27, 2018

Quiet Heart

Some people say that the goal of a spiritual practice or program is love.  Love is the goal.  But I like to think love as part of the path.  The goal is a quiet heart.  To have a quiet heart in the midst of a tempest seems to be what the spiritual giants have in common.  Being of service to others is part of the path to a quiet heart.  It is not the goal.  Forgiveness, compassion, a listening ear, kindness, acceptance are all tools that build a quiet heart.  There is a peace of mind that goes with a quiet heart in spite of how our plans are interrupted or cut short.  We cannot control all the stuff that goes on around us, but our response, the tools, the spiritual practice on a daily basis, can decide how we will respond.  Instead of me saying, “How do I get what I want?”  I ask, “How do I have a quiet heart in this situation?”

No comments:

Post a Comment