Sunday, October 7, 2018

Being Certain

Don’t be so certain about what you believe to be true.  Only about 100 years or so ago, cancer was believed to be passed on by some type of virus, or microscopic organism.  Based upon this belief hospitals would not take on cancer patients.  If you were dying of incurable cancer, good luck with medical care or nursing aide.  We debunk this thinking now but it was believed to be true back then.  So what is it that we are all so sure about today, that future generations will say, “OH, that was so silly or so wrong-headed.”  Institutions like to etch things in stone because it protects the institution.  I try to have enough certainty to act, but enough openness to grow.  Certainty needs to be flavored by openness and humility (I don’t know it all, or I don’t know much) or else I will get stuck with the door closed to a the wisdom that could ever deepen me.

No comments:

Post a Comment