Saturday, October 13, 2018

Cleaning My Room

What priest cleans his own room, bathroom, washes and changes his bedding and does his laundry?  There are precious few of us.  When I was a pastor, when I was in charge, when I was important, I did not do these things.  Now I am nothing and do my own cleaning.  You might quote me Jesus, "If anyone wishes to be first, they shall be the last of all and the servant of all."  I think I might need another religion.  I did all this yesterday and was feeling, well, accomplishment mixed with self-pity.  No one thanked me for all that I did.  Up and down stairs with laundry, three loads.  Exhausted.  Then I got to thinking.  Lots of moms did this on a regualr basis and some dads.  No one said thank you.  No one becomes a great, or important person or rich doing housework.  If anything, you are ignored.  The transformed housekeeper is known by the fact that they do not whine or complain.  They do not judge.  And they have clean houses.  So I think I will try to follow Jesus' maxim and the attitude of the many moms I have met in my life. I will see this weekly cleaning event as a path to becoming a better me.  And I will have a clean room, bathroom and bedding!

1 comment:

  1. This is something I struggle with myself. Why bother cleaning up after yourself, especially if you are recently divorced and living alone? If a divorcee's house is a mess, does anybody see it? No.

    So my previous motivations for cleaning house are now inadequate: I use to do it for others, the wife or possible guests. Now my house looks like my unconscious. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete