Wednesday, February 24, 2021

An Impression

 A Mom once told me that her children were talking one day and out of the blue they mentioned a sermon I had given at the school mass.  The sermon was about a year and a half before their conversation.  I had done some tap dancing in church to make a point about growth in prayer.  Ok, yes, I can get weird.  But I can tap dance so why not use it.  My hope, and belief, is that children remember stories and visuals.  But I am never sure as they don’t come running up and say I did good for them.  Pastors, on the other hand, might be appalled.  None of them are clamoring for me to preach in their parishes.  So I am what you might call “unsuccessful” with the powers that be.  But back to their children talking so many months after  my tap dancing.  They still remembered and wanted more of me. They got the point of the tap dancing.  So I have great success with children, the powerless in my church.  As for the powerful, not so much.  So do what you do well, because then you will be most of service.  “Singin’ in the rain.”  Who did that famous movie dance? Who was the actress that made her movie debut at 18 in that same movie?  Quiz time my children!

1 comment:

  1. Good morning, good morning ;) and thank you for the heart smile, Father Ryan. I just love that you use your tap dancing - we can all learn from that- even in recovery. Learn something new, challenge yourself, have fun, keep practicing and you never know who you may touch or how much you will grow along the way. :) If people don't recognize that, well - I think they're missing out on some joy of living life. I still sing parts of Good Morning to my boys to wake them up and it always makes me think of my Mom & Grandma. I believe that Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor sang that one. ;) Keep up the tapping - it's a marvelous tool! Gratitude, hugs and sunshine across the miles. :)

    ReplyDelete