Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Freedom?

 I recall a freedom I had many years ago that left me profoundly adrift.  I was working in Corporate business in Chicago in the latter 60s.  There was a bar on what was called the Near North Side of town.  The bar’s name was Butch McGuire’s.  I recall standing in the bar with a drink, maybe a martini, surrounded by people who did not know my name and to whom I was not accountable.  I could just walk out and no one would notice.  So I was free, but a freedom I try to avoid today.  If I belong, and people know my name then I am accountable and I support their life with my life, the best that I can be.  One must give up the anonymity of the bar freedom in order to pursue a life of commitment and community.  And I really never liked martinis.  Has anyone out there ever been to Butch’s?  Maybe we met!

1 comment: