Monday, February 8, 2021

Non-Violence

 What is the difference between violence and non-violence.  Howard Thurman has a good take on this.  The root of non-violence is reconciliation.  The non-violent person admits that there are violent people.  They want to find ways to be reconciled.  At the root of the violence is non-existence.  The violent person wants to be rid of you, get you out of their life or at least out of their way.  The violence of war is that people ar trying to kill one another.  A violent protest wants to destroy.  A non-violent protest wants to reconcile with the “other.”  So when you say, “I hate someone,” you want to be rid of them in your life.  You don’t look for a coming together to be reconciled with your differences or maybe even miscommunications.  When I say, “Hate” it is always in reference to someone or something that I want to go away.  If you say, “I hate chocolate,” then of course you are beyond hope.  But I won’t hate you.  More chocolate for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment