Friday, April 9, 2021

Amazement

 Amazement never really changed anyone from within.  Just because a drunk meets another recovered alcoholic does not mean that the drunk will change.  Amazed yes, but change no.  I meet people with whom I am amazed at their change, but I don’t change because of this encounter.  People are amazed at religious phenomena such as Resurrection of Jesus, Nirvana of the Buddha, but that does not change the person.  I can read about amazing events, but that does not change me.  Amazed yes, but action is more than amazement.  I need to do the hard work, maybe initiated or energized by the amazing encounter.  Only the inner, daily efforts, sometimes feeling like drudgery and even boring, will work on what needs to be changed.  Lots of people believe Jesus is raised and are amazed.  But they don’t do the work he proposed in his teachings.  Spiritual teachers are not out to amaze us, but to invite us.  Don’t settle for amazement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment