Tuesday, April 6, 2021

The Second Mary

 So in Mark’s gospel there was a second Mary who went to the tomb with the more famous Mary of Magdalene.  By the time we get to John’s gospel, this second Mary has disappeared.  What happened? Alternative facts?  Whatever, she was not all that important to John.  Nor was the sun’s rising all that important to John.  In Mark the sun is risen but for John it is still dark.  I connect with this second Mary in Mark.  Over time she gets ignored or forgotten, but that does not change her experience of the resurrection, the empty tomb, the awe and mystery of it all.  So it is OK if I am ignored and forgotten because that does not change my experience of Jesus the risen one in my life.  I can still have the daily awe and mystery.  I still have faith which does not depend upon my importance in the world.  My ego gets crucified in being ignored and forgotten by the powers that be.  But my living as Jesus taught does not depend on what others think of me or don’t think of me at all.  It depends on my daily being in touch with the awe and the mystery of life, called eternal life.  That is the life Jesus is living.  

No comments:

Post a Comment