Sunday, April 4, 2021

Feelings Follow

 Someone reminded me that you don't need to feel like forgiving in order to forgive.  It is an act of the will.  Feelings follow...eventually.  I try to keep this in mind.  My withholding forgiveness may not bother another person at all.  But it will bother me  I will host revenge, resentment, anger, judgment and other nasty "feelings."  In that case, forgiveness as an act of the will is to relieve me of some pain.  Then I can use a prayer to ask my spiritual power, God in this case, to help those feelings to giddy up and get here sooner rather than later.  My use of the will to forgive is to prevent me from doing something foolish to relieve my negative, bothersome feelings.  I cannot control my feelings very easily, but I can make use of my will.  And if I have some willpower at work, I am already better than I used to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment