Thursday, April 1, 2021

The Indifferent

 You think it is hard to love your enemies?  Yes, but I find it harder to love those who are indifferent to me.    I can try to be reconciled to the enemy.  There is something that is between us, that is getting in the way of relationship.  Maybe it is custom, or history, or ethnicity or sexuality, but usually something that makes us "enemy."  Whereas those who are indifferent to me, what is there to reconcile?  They don't avoid me or are unkind in any specific way.  They simply don't seem to care that I exist at all, and act at time as if I am not even present.  The enemy excludes someone.  The different ignore.  At least when you are an enemy you are somebody.  So I find it harder to love those who are indifferent to me.  The indifferent person is not hateful.  Indifference too often means that I am not significant enough for someone to have a strong feeling about me one way or the other.  I ry to avoid being indifferent to another person.   Oh, and Happy April Fool's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment