Sunday, April 11, 2021

The Prodigal

 One of the strengths of recovery programs and religions when at their best, is that they do not judge the Prodigal.  The Prodigal is one who has left the group, gone off in some selfish and self-centered direction, or just fell into insane behavior.  The Prodigal slinks back, comes in stooped shouldered, self-judging, and tries to hide in the back, desperate for escape from their over-bearing misery.  A solid community simply welcomes them back, pays them some attention, with love and acceptance.  There is the story in the Bible called, "The Prodigal Son."  He leaves the family to live a dissolute life, and when he hits bottom he comes back full of shame and guilt.  The Father welcomes him back home.  But the elder brother does not welcome him back and condemns him for leaving the family and being selfish.  I try to be more like the father and less like the elder brother.  How about you? 

2 comments:

  1. For myself, so far in my recovery I have not had the experience of leaving however I know that I'm only as far away from a drink that my arm can reach. I also know that I am harder on myself than anyone ever could be. I believe it takes courage to come back and hope. I remember that when I give my friends who have returned, a hug and a reminder they are not alone. Some don't make it back, it's a disease out to get you in more ways than one. Walking shoulder to shoulder is key to my sobriety and letting God lead the way. I hope to always be a support rather than one who deserts. It could easily be me that needs that hug. Thanks for the reminder, Father Ryan and I hope you have a beautiful day. Hugs across the miles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgave him, but he was a real crapper to Mom and he stole my girl and dads now supporting his lazy arse.
    But I quit the booze in spite of all that and suggested he do the same

    ReplyDelete