Wednesday, April 14, 2021

The Nearby

 So there is this bible story where a big time General has a disease and hears that some prophet in another country can heal him.  The two countries are not on friendly terms.  But the General goes anyway, thinking that this prophet, being such, will do something spectacular and unique to cure him.  When he gets to the prophet’s house, all he gets is a message to go bathe in the nearby river, a rather ordinary and unspectacular river.  The General gets resentful, rejects the advice to bathe nearby and is going back home when one of his aides convinces him to give it a shot.  The General bathes and is cured! Point?  When we have some emotional baggage we cannot seem to be rid of, a solution is often nearby, right in plain sight.  I am feeling out of sorts and think that I must do something spectacular to be rid of this emotional baggage.  Go on a holiday!  Shop!  Join some trendy organization.  When all I really need to do is clean my room, toss out old stuff in the refrigerator or food cabinet.  Take out the garbage or wash my car.  Take a slow walk rather than a hammer run.  And wear sunscreen!  How many times my mood changes, the day seems brighter and I am nicer to be around.  Well, at least the first two.  And none of those things cost money.  I am in a pretty good mood at the moment.  My car stays filthy.  

2 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with the story or the General or why he was consulting the enemy over his medical condition, but are we sure he was cured of anything? A fella who loves making war, not love.. a happier ending might be that the old boy drowned, because he never learned to swim...glub..glib

    ReplyDelete
  2. And cudos to the wise old sage who told the general to go jump in the lake

    ReplyDelete