Thursday, May 6, 2021

Being Rich

In the story of the Rich Man and the poor man, Lazarus, there is no condemnation for being rich.  In the after life of the story, the rich man is not suffering torment because he was rich, but because he did not pay any attention to Lazarus and the needs of the poor man.  Lazarus is both ignored and hungry.  I find that at times I come up with excuses, judgments, as to why I can ignore the person living on the street.  I say, "They are addicted and could get better if they go to Recovery Program." Or, "They are lazy and just don't want to work."  Whatever, I find ways to feel good about myself while ignoring others.  Lazarus lived on the street outside the rich man's home.  My job is not to judge or try to change people.  My job is to try and be changed myself by how I connect with others who are put in my path.  

No comments:

Post a Comment