Saturday, May 1, 2021

The Good And The Better

 When people ask me why I live here and not be more present someplace else, I need not say one is bad and the other good.  There can be two good things and one makes a choice.  The choice is personal between two good things.  When it is personal then one thing is good, but the other is better.  It is good to live in each of various places, to attend various meetings, school classes, social events, shopping places, but where one makes a personal choice then it is choosing the better over the good.  It is why I am in this monastery more than someplace else.  It is why I go to some meetings and not others, shop in one place and not another, and so on.  To tell someone you hate something that they love, does not do them much good unless they love something destructive to me.  Drinking, loud parties, climbing 14,000 foot mountains might be good for you, but better for me that I do not do those things.  I love to run.  When someone says, "I hate running," would it not be better for my feelings if they simply said, "It is better for me not to run."  So I try to do unto others as I prefer they do unto me.  But I hate marathons!

1 comment:

  1. I always learn something wonderful from you and your blog. I must also thank you for the chuckle and smile at the end today! :) Have a lovely day in the sunshine, Father Ryan - you are dear to my heart. Hugs across the miles! :)

    ReplyDelete