Sunday, August 1, 2021

A Program

 I have heard people call the 12 Step Addiction Recovery Process, a “Program.” I think of a program as something you tune into or turn on like a radio or TV, at a certain time and when it is over you go on to something else.  To me, this would be like someone going to church or synagogue for an hour a week and then doing other things.  In my tradition going to church for an hour a week would not make me much of a Christian.  Working the steps when a mess arises probably would keep someone from their addiction and make their life a bit less a mess.  But if it were a way of life, then I think we could become our best person we were meant to be.  A “way of life” is more ongoing than a “program.”  It is a new freedom.  

1 comment:

  1. I have also heard that the 12 steps are a 'design for living' which aligns with your 'way of life', both of which nestle together in my heart quite well. :) I get to live each moment rather than dip in and out of them. What a beautiful way to grow. Thanks for being there and being a part of my journey, Father Ryan!

    ReplyDelete