Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Interior

I know people who do exterior penances, called ascesis, and it can beat up the body.  I try to avoid that.  Rather, someone suggested that I do "Interior Humility" as a way for spiritual growth and becoming the best me I can be.  So I try to do things for others without complaining. I might do a task that someone else could do, but they don't.  I might cook for others who never bother to learn how to cook.  The important thing in being of service is not so much what or how I do it, as what attitude I bring to the task or effort.  Am I doing it with resentment or love?  Am I looking for compliments or is the work of service sufficient to fill me?  Sometimes I feel like Cinderella with the two step-sisters.  OK.  It can be a feeling.  I don't control my feelings.  They just pop up.  What do I do with them, if anything?  Recognize, accept, detach, and love.  Then even I enjoy the work I do for others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment