Sunday, October 3, 2021

The Mirror

 When I look in the mirror do I see the face of God?  No.  I see a mess, which is why I do no more than a quick glance when necessary, except when I shave.  So I guess I really don’t believe my Jewish Bible that says I am made in the image and likeness of God.  My Church says this too.  Ok, I believe in my head like I would believe an article of a Creed.  It does not affect my behavior.  To look at my face and see only problems, and not God, is to be self-absorbed.  It is all about me, isolated from anyone else.  But if I could just see with the heart that behind this face is the image of God trying to shine through, then it might affect behavior, which is what faith is suppose to do.  How Behavior?  Well, if I saw God in me, then it means God is in the face of everyone else who I see.  This would stymie my tendency to judgment of others.  It would affect my tendency to indifference about other people who are “different.”  So I will try to take a deeper and slower look into that mirror, and maybe into the mirror of my heart, in stillness and quiet.  

1 comment: