Thursday, December 22, 2022

Being Small

 Earlier this morning I was into one of my fantasy trips where I rewrite my life to make me very important, significant and famous.  Then in the mass we sang out, "God of heaven and earth."  It occurred to me, a moment I grace, that the earth is a spec in the heavens, the universe, and that on this spec there are eight billion people.  And there are many other specs in this universe with billions of people too.  God is   in and over it all, yet comes to this spec of earth as a fragile human being, a real baby like all of us humans.  This is pretty humbling for such greatness to become so insignificant and unnoticed.  Hmmm.  Then in communion today, I receive a tiny wafer of bread, and it is God.  What a concept.  I am nothing and fantasize I am great.  God is great but comes to me as small.  No wonder that people who are striving for 'More" don't notice or believe that such a God exists.  Today I will work on being right-sized.  

1 comment: