Saturday, December 24, 2022

Christmas Eve

At the monastery in our Northern Hemisphere there is four hours less of Sunlight at this time of year than in late June.  So there is a lot more "eve" this short daylight.  Our sun sets here at 3:30 PM.  Plus, it is cold up here.  But I don't pray for warmer weather or more sunlight.  Cold and dark are givens.  What I do pray for is acceptance of what is given, and to look for its meaning and possibility in my life.  With acceptance I relax.  No energy wasted on complaints or whining.  So I rest inside in the warmth.  No running about outdoors.  Lots of quiet in the darkness if I stay in the dark.  The Christmas tree lights up beautifully the dark room.  Peace is around me and will enter into me if I wait, breathe it in.  Be still and  quiet.  Or I could run around to neighbors and friends with a bottle of champagne shouting, "Merry Christmas."  I think I will open to the quiet and the dark, the gift of this special Eve.  

1 comment:

  1. Quiet or running around the neighborhood with champagne wishing all a Happy Christmas. Both work for me.

    ReplyDelete