Saturday, December 31, 2022

Happy New Year

 The Midnight Library, by Matt Haig.  A profound read for me.  "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."  I will take this perspective into the 2023 year.  I can only see what is my perspective rather than what is really there in front of me.  I observe a person, situation, place, and see only from my past.  I don't see all that is there.  I see a monk who does not do housework and say, "He is lazy."  I discount his worth.  I judge.  How much of my past is filled with men who did not do housework or cook for others?  I will include myself and my own past in this.  I was a terrible housekeeper in my bachelor pads, seminary room, and other places I lived.  I did not cook for me or others.  So I can only see this monk from my own prism past.  I see in him the me I did not like.  I see him, not as he is but through me and my life.  So I will try to see what matters, to see the "more" of someone or situation.  And then see the me that matters with all the potential still within.  I just cleaned my room!  My Mom would be proud!!!  And I did it for me.  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me pause and reflect in a new way. Happy New Years eve, Father Ryan! 💖✨️

    ReplyDelete
  2. If all you remember of the past is Divine Love....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year ! ! ! !

    ReplyDelete