Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Hidden Figures

In the movie, "Hidden Figures" you notice that the black community has big picnics outside church after services and when they dance, it is in homes.  Restaurants did not want these African Americans, nor were there dance halls available for them.  The after church picnic also served as a way for boy to meet girl in a safe environment, daylight and no drinking.  In the workplace, the genius mathematician was a woman and had black skin.  Her colleague and immediate supervisor,  did not like that she was there for both those reasons.  He was white and male.  But another problem, and one that he could change was that he did not just want to do his work.  He wanted to be the best at it, not his best but THEE best.  A black skin woman just shattered his need to be the best.  I think that I try to be the best I can be, but don't worry about being the best of everyone.  So I don't mind when I hear a person who is a better preacher than I am.  Or someone who is better versed on a subject that I study and teach.  I only need to be the best I can be, and these other people may have something to teach me that will help me to improve me.  This way I think that everyone else gets the chance to be their best and does not end up a "hidden figure."  There really is a better preacher than me?  Quiet ego!

No comments:

Post a Comment