Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Fear or Love

When we are afraid we tend to grasp, hoard, defend, make excuses, lie and other bad behavior that we might justify if we do not realize it is about fear.  On the other hand, when we are energized by love rather than fear, we tend to be more generous, less judgmental, more open-hearted and in a listening mode.  We tend to forgive more easily as a parent might their child.  When I find myself in fear, this is a plus, not the fear, but the recognition that fear is my main energy at the moment.  Then I ask myself, “What can I do to connect with love?”  I don’t try to get rid of fear directly.  I am not sure that is possible.  Rather, I try to find reasons to love.  It might start with “this day is a gift.”  An addict might work on their sobriety.  I might call someone up and ask how they are doing today and be ready to listen.  I might do some kind deed without being asked.  I might clean my room.  A clean room is a way of loving myself.  I may grumble a bit while I do it, but I feel so good when it is done.  Clean towels and sheets too.  Whatever, just get active and out of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment