Saturday, July 28, 2018

Freedom

Marie Montessori, was a polymath and the first woman doctor in Italy.  She was also a daily Catholic communicant.  In her teaching method she felt that "freedom" did not mean doing whatever you want, but rather being having the ability to do what you are called to do, your vocation if you will.  Many people want to be free to do what they want, but if we have strong leanings to do what is not good for us, called bad habits or faults, we are not really free.  We are bound by our shortcomings.  Ask any person working the Twelve Steps about that.  There are certain times on some days, when I suddenly don't feel free at all.  I know in my head the right thing to do, but I don't do it.  I do what is not good for me.  In those instances I am only likely to do the right thing because of reward and punishment.  It is the basis of religious instruction.  Do good or burn.  If I do the right thing out of fear or reward than I am not free.  Love frees me.  Love myself and love others.  Sometimes I just cannot find the love.  I am fortunate today to be able to learn what I want when I want to learn it.  It is only when I love myself that I learn what is good for me to keep me growing into my purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment