Monday, July 23, 2018

Toilet Paper

Some people say that my homilies are worthless because they don't talk enough about teachings of the Catholic Church, and the sacraments, especially repentance.  I may indeed be worthless, but I am not forgettable.  Years ago, as a recently ordained priest, I gave a homily in my Houston parish and used the image of toilet paper to make my point, whatever the point was.  A young mother, now a  grandmother, heard that homily.  Now, some 40 years later, her daughter, who follows my blog, says Mom thinks about me every time she opens a new package of toilet paper.  So there.  People say that my homilies are poop, but memorable poop, as toilet paper will attest.  Now what was that point?  Well, at least I am memorable! Use the everyday to speak about grander things.  It works, or so I have found.

No comments:

Post a Comment