Friday, July 27, 2018

Mr. Rogers

I saw the movie, "Won't You Be My Neighbor," which was the children's show done by Fred Rogers beginning in 1968.  Among other things he wanted children to know that they were special just as they are.  He got slammed for this by people who are upset with "exceptionalism" that young people nowadays supposedly feel.  These Critics of Fred Rogers, think that you are special when you do something to earn it.  For them being special is not part of your nature, your very self.  It is earned.  Now if these people are going to Christian churches, I surmise that they are hearing some other gospel than the one that Jesus pro-ported to preach.  I heard that we were made in God's image and likeness without having a need for any faith.  We did not earn this accolade.  It is part of us.  Fred Rogers felt that love was the answer and the lack of love the problem.  If you felt a lack of love when a child, you may well be acting it out or letting it control you as an adult.  I have to avoid the trap of falling into manipulation when I work at being loved.  I am loved.  Even if you don't agree.  You do agree, Right?  😯

No comments:

Post a Comment