Friday, December 4, 2020

The Leap

 In my church, most people are baptized when they are a baby or very young.  If they subsequently get any religious ed, it is usually about a system of ideas, and a structure of governance.  Sometimes they go to public worship and learn something about talking to God in prayer.  Well, welcome to Christendom.  This does not yet make one a Christian.  Say what?  In this system something is passed on yes, but the challenge to become a Christian is still a work to be done.  As someone said, becoming a Christian is a leap of faith, and I don't mean dogma or credal belief faith.  It is a difficult thing to do.  I don't know that many baptized actually make it, but then I suppose we can fake it until we make it.  I read the Gospels and say wow, this is not easy.  I cannot think or wish my way into following its tenants.  I have to make the leap, to practice without a comfort zone.  It is not so much about feeling happy, right, or comfortable.  The founder died on a cross.  My whole life would have to change to follow him.  A work in progress begins after the leap.  Ask anyone who has recovered from a life-destroying addiction . 

No comments:

Post a Comment