Thursday, December 3, 2020

Why Go?

 I find that many people tend to gather with a group and have a primary purpose being, "I want them to like me."  We sometimes think, or often believe that we are not so good, and hope no one figures this out about us.  We go to church, synagogue, temple, recovery meetings and social events with this in mind.  To avoid this focus on being liked I ask myself what is the purpose of the group gathering?  If I go to church it is about being part of a community that is focused on God and not on being liked by one another.  If a recovery meeting, it is to stay stopped from an addiction.  If I would focus on being liked I miss the point of the meeting.  To go to a social event where I don't know people and want them to like me, wow that is not much fun.  Too much pressure to figure out what they want me to be, since maybe I may be a bit focused on my shortcomings that I want to hide.  So I go and be me.  If they don't like me or talk to me, then I don't go back.  We worry too much about people judging our outsides.  If that is what they are doing, then stop going to that group.   

1 comment:

  1. Bless you father- improve oneself rather than judging oneself

    ReplyDelete