Saturday, June 5, 2021

Purpose

 I don’t see my life as a priest, or these blogs, as trying to convince you to believe in Christianity.  Rather I try to give you my experience of a God in my life, how this God has embraced, challenged, loved and forgiven me.  I think that belief is not so much as something put into you as a gift, but rather something that is caught in an encounter with another person who is alive to life.  So many people are full of dogma and ritual, rules, traditions, but nothing seems truly to be alive within them.  I want my life to capture another person’s imagination.  Covid did not diminish my experience of God, the loving embrace.  Closed churches do not diminish love.  They diminish routine.  Church worship did not destroy worship, since I could still walk in nature, God’s cathedral, mask and all.  I am a bad priest since I don’t do catechism teaching.  Often I swim upstream like the salmon to have that encounter with Light and Life, when the going gets tough.  The salmon does not give up.  It goes to spawn new life.  

1 comment: