Friday, June 11, 2021

The Ten Percent

 I say to myself, “I am bored!”  This might be because I am flipping through the channels of my life, or what I call living at the 10% level.  But there is another 90% to which I do not pay attention. The result is that I am bored, or maybe distracted.  Self-pity walks into my life when I live only the 10%.  So what to do?  I try to pay attention.  Simone Weil thought that paying attention was like prayer and I agree.  Paying attention is not so much about talking to God, but about NOT talking to myself.  Take a moment to see what arises.  Look around, not quickly, like the scrolling through email or facebook.  I have this precious short time of life.  Boredom is simply a flag to tell me I am missing out, or ignoring my 90%.  I hope my blogs are part of the 90% for you.  They often are for me.  

2 comments:

  1. Fr. Terry, your blogs always come at the right time for where I am and for what I need to do in my life. Thanks for being my daily spiritual compass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! Thank you, Father Ryan. :)

    ReplyDelete