Saturday, June 26, 2021

Thoughts

 Some people say that when they try to meditate and not focus on their thoughts, they keep having thoughts nag at them.  Well, the mind keeps working, and feeds on thoughts.  The question is, “Are you attached to the thoughts?”  When my thoughts sort of fade into the background using whatever method I use, then I am aware but not attached to those thoughts.  They lose power to direct my emotional life for instance.  I may be aware of a fantasy in my mind but I don’t pursue it.  At times I am unaware of any particular thoughts, which is a deeper prayer, but the important thing is to meditate in a way that thoughts don’t control you.  Example: I get a thought that the weather is bad, the roads are a mess, and I will be killed or badly maimed if I visit my friend.  I cut short my prayer, call my friend and say I won’t be coming for our reunion.  The thought controlled me so I was filled with fear.  In fact, all I needed to do was check the web site for road conditions and find out that the roads are perfectly fine and well maintained.  Thought are just thoughts.  You are the one who gives them power over you.  

1 comment:

  1. I love this message in it's entirety. Thank you, Father Ryan. My mom had been telling me for years that my thoughts were just thoughts but I was sober around a year before I finally understood that...it's a gift not to empower them. My sponsor taught me to say "the end" if I catch myself mentally writing a story with no evidence supporting it. Blended together they make my days much smoother and loving. I'm thankful to have you as a spiritual teacher and sure hope you aren't planning on retiring from your blog any time soon. ;) Hugs across the miles!

    ReplyDelete