Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Behavior Change

 When someone first enters the doors of an AA meeting, they generally don't say they are alcoholic.  They really don't know what that is yet.  What they do know is that they drink too much and want to stop.  They want to change a behavior and don't know how to do that on their own.  Later, if they keep with AA they will find out what an alcoholic is.  I find the same in my religion and in convert work.  People who come and say they "want to become Catholic" don't yet know what a Catholic is.  But they do know what they are now and what their spiritual behavior, if any, is.  They want to change that and think that "Catholic" will be the way.  Why?  Because of people they have met or witnessed being Catholic in behavior.  Just like in AA, newcomers tend to stay and "get it" because of the behavior of those they meet when they enter the AA meeting.  It is all about attraction.  People who try to promote religion, advertise and so forth, don't get as far as those who walk the walk of whatever is their spiritual practice.  My blogs are talking the talk.  I could use some better behavior myself as I trudge along.  I work to limit the number of days and times that I am a de-traction.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Fr. Terry, for your daily persistence in talking the talk and in walking the walk. We all benefit from having your model behavior to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I came to heal the sinner". Mary said pour the wine. Moderation in all things,and enjoy the good life and blessings. PTL

    ReplyDelete