Thursday, September 23, 2021

The Reasons

 I used to drink at people.  Most of you drank with people in social occasions.  Yes, I remember that too.  But there were occasions when I drank “at people.”  Maybe I was unhappy with people or life was not going my way.  I might have a feeling of not being OK, but those around me did not help me to feel better, or they got blamed for my not feeling OK.  So I drank at them.  I would look around a room of people, no one of whom is making me happy.  And I would have a drink, alone with others.  I was lonely, but instead of having enough sanity to realize that loneliness is simply a part of life from time to time, I would try to get “feelings” to go away or change.  It was all a matter of running away in place.  Today, I have moments of sanity and the freedom to feel but not react in dead end ways.  I think maybe this blog is too honest, so I will stop before you take me off your pedestal.  

1 comment:

  1. I drank at people and situations as well and remember isolating in public. That was before I just did it at home. What a dark spiral. I'm so grateful to have been taught to feel the feelings, to know that they pass and that I can get through anything, shoulder to shoulder with my fellows. Your blog is always just what I need and I am so thankful for everything you share. Talk about waking the walk, such a gift - thank you! Hugs across the miles and wishes for a great fall day! :)

    ReplyDelete