Sunday, September 5, 2021

Gardening

 What is the spiritual life but a kind of gardening.  We are all in some kind of a recovery from missteps, bad habits and a weak self-evaluation.  In gardening we are trying to grow something good, the fruitful plants of a better person.  But there are weeds.  We cannot get rid of the weeds until we know the difference between a weed and a fruitful plant, and then how to uproot the weed.  For example, it takes time to recognize that what we thought was taking care of my needs, was merely selfishness, or my avoiding someone or something is all about self-centered fear or judgments.  And so on.  My prayer each day, spiritual reading, daily meditations, are all about my seeing with new eyes where my weeds are, and how to get rid of them.  Should they grow back?  Get rid of them again.  Become fruit for others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment