Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Too Busy

I hear someone say that they don't do some bad habit anymore, but now are too busy to pray or follow some time-consuming spiritual practice.  An alcoholic told me she was in recovery, but did not have much time to drink.  So I asked her how much time she devoted to drinking each day, since she said that she did drink each day?  She thought about it and said maybe three hours of drinking.  Well, I asked her, do you not now have three hours free of drinking?  Yes, she said, but now she is busier because she is more functional.  I suggested that maybe she is more functional because she is no longer drinking.  She thought for a moment and then said maybe she could use some of this time to actually pray and do a bit of spiritual reading.  Bad behavior takes time.  So does good behavior.  I don't believe I could stop the bad without the good to replace it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment